RE: Q: RAID-1 w/2x160GB, ReiserFS, Debian 'woody', homebrew 2.4.25 kernel

Ooops./ I didn't read the subject.

> >> How about RAIDing the root partition? If one drive fails will the
> >> other be able to boot via LILO? How about GRUB? Which do
> you prefer?
> >
> > I have my root partition on a RAID1 mirror. I use grub and have
> > "installed" grub to both mirrored drives so I can boot off either,
> > e.g. if one fails. That reminds me, I must test this.
>
> That's exactly what I want.

I've got some rough notes I made. I may tidy them up and publish them on my
web site.

> >> How about (/var)/tmp? I (suppose I'll) need it on both
> disks, does it
> >> make sense to mirror it as well?
> >
> > You *could* put /var/tmp or /tmp on separate partitions either
> > mirrored or not, but if you want to keep things "stress
> free" I would
> > keep /var/tmp and /tmp on the root partition.
>
> No. I don't want a rogue script to fill up my root partition.

That, of course, is the reason you would want to keep /var/tmp and/or /tmp
on separate partitions (or on the same partition - just symlink so /var/tmp
and /tmp are the same.)

> >> Can I mirror the whole disk? Or do I need to mirror each partition
> >> seperately?
> >
> > You can do either. You mirror the disk using md and can then either
> > create a filesystem on the whole disk, or use lvm to create logical
> > volumes within the md device.
>
> Hm... I thought LVM did mirroring and striping as well? I
> didn't think you can or should use them together. Wouldn't
> that degrade performance as well?
>
> >> Does MD or LVM2 do hot sync, i.e. if one drive fails will
> I be able
> >> to stick in a replacement, and stop worrying? Or do I need to
> >> repartition the new disk exactly as the old one, before
> being able to sync?
> >
> > I'm not sure about this. My understanding is that you will need to
> > shutdown the system to replace the bad disk and partition
> the new disk
> > manually before md will resync, but this could be wrong.
>
> What I mean is, will md resync automatically or would I have
> to initiate this manually?

Md should re-sync automatically.

> > I have six 250GB SATA disks, all partitioned identically with two
> > partitions of 1.5GB and 248.5 GB. I have them configured as RAID
> > devices using md follows:
>
> I think you mean 1.5TB. :-)

Nope, 1.5GB. See below.

> > md0   sda1 + sdd1    RAID1    1.5GB   root filesystem
> > md2   sdb1 + sde1    RAID1    1.5GB   swap 1
> > md3   sdc1 + sdf1    RAID1    1.5GB   currently not used
> > md5   sd[abcdef]2    RAID5    994GB   lvm2 volume group (4+1+spare)
> >
> > Then within the lvm2 volume group I have the following
> logical volumes:
> >
> > dude_usr   10GB     /usr
> > dude_var   5GB      /var
> > dude_home  979GB    /home
> >
> > I did my initial install just to the mirrored root parition
> . Once I
> > had done the initial install I set up the lvm2 array and
> volumes and
> > migrated /usr and /var over.
> >
> > It's working great so far.
>
> This setup seems quite complicated. Did you test the setup,
> ie. removed one of the MD disks and looked what happened?

I deliberated long and hard about how to implement my new system and this
was about the least complicated route!

> >> The goal is to have as "stress free" a system as possible
> - i.e. with
> >> as little manual configuration, and in event of emergencies, as
> >> little work to do, as possible.
> >
> > If you want stress free, buy a Netapps storage appliance ;o)
>
> If they do all the rest that I need (smtp, web, file server,
> ftp server, mysql, spamassassin, etc etc etc) fine. If not,
> I'd need to set up another box anyway, so I wouldn't see the
> advantage.

I was being slightly slippant - Netapps just do big storage arrays with very
high availability. For example, if they detect that a drive is failing they
send an email to Netapps and an engineer comes round with a replacement disk
all without any user intervention! I guess they're the Rolls Royce of
storage solutions. Expensive though.

R.
--
http://robinbowes.com