Re: Multi-channel ATA controller cards

And a little later, on Sun, May 9, 2004 6:49, Mark Hahn said:
>> I'm putting together a (relatively) large capacity Raid 5 storage
>> solution
>
> large raid with pata is often a cabling nightmare.  I wouldn't consider
> going larger than 6-8 disks without a custom case (and I'd call 8x250G
> pretty small-medium today.)
>
>> drives. I've been looking into various controller options, both PATA and
>> SATA, and have decided that PATA will give me best price/capacity.
>
> why?  I prefer 4-port promise sata controllers ($60).  disk prices are
> not much different per GB.
>
>> So far, the most likely candidate (on a cost basis) is the Acard
>> AEC6885S
>> (http://www.acard.com/eng/product/adapter/pc/ide/aec-6885.html) which is
>
> ugh, choosing a non-mainstream card is usually a mistake.
>
>> Finally, does anyone know of any other 4-channel (or 6-channel) ATA
>> controllers that would be worth my checking out?
>
> 3ware is the natural conservative choice

Thanks for these replies guys.

The reason I was considering the PATA controller was cost - both of the
controller and the disks. I have since found the Promise SATA150 TX4 for
less than the ACard controller. The SATA version of the Maxtor MaxLine II
Plus 250GB drive is £146.88 compared to £134.76 for the PATA version. For
a six-disk system, that's a premium of £72.12 for SATA over PATA.

I think I'll be going the SATA route.

Next job, work out how to install it all - but that's a separate topic!

R.
--
http://robinbowes.com

-