Re: Multi-channel ATA controller cards

Hello Robin.

Just in case you are not all ready aware of this site:

"Serial ATA chipsets â Linux support status"
http://www.linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html

I would check it before making any purchases. It seems to be quite up to
date with regard to the status of Serial ATA on Linux. Short of looking
in the kernel source (another great idea) it might be the best place to
look to see if the cards you are looking at purchasing are supported.

On a related topic, I did some benchmarking with bonnie++ over the
weekend and I discovered that linux 2.6.5 was almost twice as fast at
software raid than the 2.4.22 kernel that comes with slackware-current.
I was quite stunned.

I'm curious if anyone else has done benching on 2.4 and 2.6 kernels and
come up with similar results?

Hopefully I'll have time to do up a little
software-raid-slackware-how-to and I'll include the bench results.

Regards,

John Lange

-