Re: strange performance of raid0

On Sun, 2004-02-15 at 04:05, Keld Jørn Simonsen wrote:
> I would have thought the disks would have worked towards gaining
> performance enhancements in some cumulative way, is that not so, in theory?
>
> So why is 3 disks slower than 2?

Well, I'm not a complete guru so maybe I'm wrong, but in a stripe the
point is that you are pressing more platters into simultaneous service.
There's a certain amount of synchronization because the things your
computer needs at higher levels are spread across multiple disks, so it
wants them at about the same time.  If the first two disks provide the
data quickly and the third doesn't, the system probably will have to
wait for that third one before it can move on.

Thats my suspicion anyways.

-