Re: strange performance of raid0

On Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 01:54:11AM -0800, Matt Thrailkill wrote:
> The you don't get as good performance because hdc1 is slow enough to
> really drag it down.  Think about it, if reads are all going about
> sequentially, it has to spend alot of time waiting on that 16mb/s drive
> compared to the others.

I would have thought the disks would have worked towards gaining
performance enhancements in some cumulative way, is that not so, in theory?

So why is 3 disks slower than 2?

> You probably can't get 100mb/s with the two because that would be pretty
> efficient, and there's probably more overhead than that.
>
> Shouldn't the 80gb drive be going faster than 16mb/s though?  Have you
> checked hdparm to make sure dma and all the goodies are turned on for
> it?

I have a 40 GB segate disk also, on the same motherboard IDE
controller, it runs about 40 MB/s. So yes, the hdc1
should go faster, and I have measured something like 40 MB/s
on it in idler times. I think it is because it is running other
processes. The machine is a ftp mirror and the disk has RedHat
and Fedora ISO images, so it is quite popular.

-