Re: Some raid1 questions

On Sunday February 1, yg@mind.lu wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have my home partition on a raid1 device, and there is an ext3
> filesystem on it. Some more information:
>
> Recently I had some freezes (due to nvidia...?), and everytime I had to
> make a hard reset.
>
> Everytime then the raid resynced completely which took about 1.5 hours.
> One time I lost some kde settings when this happened.
> The filesystem did not complain about an unclean shutdown, it seems it
> did not see on bootup that the last shutdown was unclean.
>
> Now to my questions:
> Is this the normal behaviour?
Which behaviour?

  1.5 hour resync -- maybe. It depends on the speed and size of the
    drives.
  lost kde settings -- maybe. It depends on how well kde copes with
    sudden system failure.
  The filesystem didn't complain -- Yes.  ext3 doesn't complain about
    an unclean shutdown.  It just replays the journal and keeps
    working.

> Shouldn't the filesystem take care of that?

  Take care of what?  I suspect it did take care of everything it
  could.

> What is the point of having a journaling filesystem on a mirror?
  Lots.  A journaling filesystem guards against unclean shutdown.  A
  mirror guards against drive failure.  These are compliementary.

> Is there anything I can change to have the filesystem handle unclean
> shutdowns?

 I think it did handle the unclean shutdown just fine.
 The loss of kde settings is probably dud to KDE note being careful
 enough when updating it's settings file.

NeilBrown