mdadm and email warnings

Can anybody point me to information/how-tos that describe, step-by-step, how
to configure mdadm to give me warnings about possible problems with my raid
arrays? I realize that mdadm can monitor the status of the raids and send me a
warning if something looks bad. But I'm fuzzy on how exactly to set this up.
Sorry, but the details aren't obvious from any of the manuals or help files.

For instance, I see that I can enter an email address with the flag -m and
the address. But do I need to specify a program that will send that email? It
looks that way to me. Can I use KDE Mail to do the job? Or do I need to use
something that doesn't involve a GUI?

Thanks in advance for the help

Andy Liebman
-