Re: Invalid superblock on drives in array

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003, seth vidal wrote:

> if this was running on a sparc then you might want to look at:
>
> mdadm --update=sparc2.2

I wasn't clear enough. I got into problems when I moved the array from the
sparc to the PC so I backed up all the data and then I recreated the array
and formatted the drive (ext3) before moving all the data back.

But I tried it anyway with this result :

[root@colossus mdadm-1.4.0]# ./mdadm --update=sparc2.2 /dev/md0
--update does not set the mode, and so cannot be first.

I just tried to use mkraid to upgrade the superblocks (if that was the
problem) but it seems that something else is wrong.

[root@colossus mdadm-1.4.0]# mkraid --upgrade /dev/md0
handling MD device /dev/md0
analyzing super-block
cannot upgrade magic-less superblock on /dev/sda1 ...
mkraid: aborted.
(In addition to the above messages, see the syslog and /proc/mdstat as
well
 for potential clues.)

> Oh and I'm also the yum author and I assure you, yum doesn't touch
> ANYTHING related to raid arrays, it just updates packages :)

Well, I wasn't implying that yum would do anything to the array. It was
just to explain that the machine was newly installed. :)

It had been running for about 1½ days before something happend. I actually
don't have any idea what might have happend. Something is wrong with the
superblocks but I have idea how that happend. Act of God? ;)

// peter
--
If God is real, s/he might be integer (e.g. 0). If God is complex, then s/he might be imaginary.

-