Re: Invalid superblock on drives in array

On Thu, 2003-12-25 at 11:58, Peter Jonsson wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm running a RAID-5 setup using six Seagate ST19171W SUN9.0G drives off a
> Sun Multipack connected to an Adaptec 2940UW. I used to have the multipack
> connected to a Sparcstation 5 but I moved it yesterday. Everything was
> running fine until I rebooted the machine.

if this was running on a sparc then you might want to look at:

mdadm --update=sparc2.2

look at the mdadm man page:

              The  sparc2.2 option will  adjust the superblock of
              an array what was created on a Sparc  machine  run-
              ning  a  patched 2.2 Linux kernel.  This kernel got
              the alignment of part of the superblock wrong.  You
              can use the --examine --sparc2.2 option to mdadm to
              see what effect this would have.

> I'm not really sure what happend. I think what I did was to reboot the
> machine to use a new kernel. This machine was a clean RH9 installation and
> I applied a 'yum upgrade' to it after installing yum. I have since tried
> to use the array with the older kernel but that don't work either.

Oh and I'm also the yum author and I assure you, yum doesn't touch
ANYTHING related to raid arrays, it just updates packages :)

-sv

-