Re: Firewire RAID bootparameters?

I'm not sure which distro you're running, but we needed a module to load
before another one and I modified the linuxrc script in our initrd image
to change the load order.

Red Hat (and probably other distros) initrd images have a script in the
initrd image to load drivers.  You can loop mount the current image, add
the modules you need, modify the script, and then copy it back into
/boot.

The initrd image in Red Hat is gzipped so this is the procedure that I
follow:

. *** MAKE A BACKUP COPY OF YOUR CURRENT INITRD AND BOOTLOADER CONF ***
. cp /boot/initrd.img /tmp
. cd /tmp
. mv initrd.img initrd.img.gz
. gunzip initrd.img
. mount -o loop initrd.img /mnt/cdrom
. Copy any necessary modules to /mnt/cdrom/lib
. Edit /mnt/cdrom/linuxrc and add a couple of lines to load your
firewire module in the proper order.
. umount /mnt/cdrom
. gzip /tmp/initrd.img
. cp /tmp/initrd.img.gz /boot/mynewinitrd.img

Then what I would do is make a new bootloader (LILO/GRUB) entry with all
the same options except use your edited initrd image instead of the
stock one.  That way you can test it, but still be able to boot with you
known-good initrd image.

This is probably a big hack, but it worked for me :)

Hope this helps,
Andy.

On Fri, 2003-12-12 at 07:45, Christer Bäckström wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've recently bought a 160Gb firewire drive and RAID1:ed it to mirror my
> main harddrive. Unfortunately, the md subsystem seems to load before the
> firewire in the kernel bootsequence, which mean I have to do some weird
> stuff to make it work. Basically, I compiled the md system as modules
> (with the SCSI patch to make it work a bit better), and hid the modules
> in a different directory, so they wouldn't load. I later load them in
> manually rc.sysinit. This work, but is a little clumsy. Is there a way
> to use append any boot-parameters to lilo to make the RAID subsystem
> load the firewire system? Or is there another solution? Thanks,
>

> /Chris
>
> -

Regards,
Andrew Rechenberg
Infrastructure Team, Sherman Financial Group
-