Re: Multipath problem in a SAN enviromnent

Ionut Nistor wrote:

> Yes, you would get around it. But the main point of the superblock (i.e.
> disk membership/status/array uuid) is to be able to identify the disks in an
> array if devices allocation changes.
>
> There must be a *safe* way of identifying the devices.

I agree that for most raid levels this is the case, but for multipath
there's nothing unsafe about probing the paths at boot time and
assembling the multipath md devices by matching up SCSI IDs (or FC
WWNs). This is how the QLogic (and other) HBA drivers do their multipath
setup.

But getting back to the original problem, it does seem like we should be
looking for matching superblock UUID (only) on the different paths
rather than matching major,minor since those can obviously change.

Could you maybe post your boot messages (from md) so we can see what md
thinks is going on? I assume your partitions are IDed as RAID (0xfd) and
you're using the md autorun feature to start up your arrays?

--
Paul