Re: Move md raid5 from intel to sparc?

Mike Tran wrote:
On Wed, 2003-06-11 at 10:02, Matthew Mitchell wrote:

Hello everyone,

In the interest of keeping around some otherwise-functional Sparcs, I was asked if it would be possible to move a linux md raid set from an Intel box to a Sun box. I said, "Sure," and then immediately wondered about byte ordering -- will this work? Take the SCSI box off of the intel, plug it into the sparc, and try to run the array...

Then my next thought was that someone here would know the answer. :)

It will not work. The on-disk MD superblock is written using cpu arch
format.  Furthermore, let's say you are able to re-create the raid5
array after moving it to the Sun box.  What about the filesystem and
data?  At least you need a filesystem which manipulates its metadata in
neutral format for this kind of "move" to work.

As I feared.

What _about_ the filesystem and data, though? Some filesystems are certainly written in a known byte-order, like ISO 9660. Are there any of (ext3, XFS, JFS, reiserfs) that this is true for? Or are they all written in cpu native byte-order?

--
Matthew Mitchell
Systems Programmer/Administrator            matthew@geodev.com

-