Re: Start condition failed - ConditionUser=!root not met

On Wed, 2021-10-13 at 14:51 +0000, Joel wrote:
> Tanu -
>
> Thank you.  I made the changes you suggested (removed
> pulseaudio.socket from two locations where I found the file:
> /etc/systemd/system/and /etc/systemd/system/sockets.targets.wants.
> In the file pulseaudio.service, I commented out the lines
> "Requires=pulseaudio.socket"; "ConditionUser=!root" and
> "Also=pulseaudio.socket".  Please note that there also two
> occurrences of this file: /etc/systemd/system/and
> /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.targets.wants. Perhaps the second
> occurrences are system-generated.
>
> I then had sound from the web browser!  VLC was still providing sound
> as before (but I gather not using pulsesaudio).  After logging out
> then logging back in (not rebooting), there was no web browser sound
> and a new error:  Failed to load module "module-x11-publish".  This
> also occurred after rebooting and booting from a cold start. After
> the reboot, a further error arose: Error opening PCM device front:0:
> Device or resource busy.  Also, the /var/run/.pulse cookie does
> exist.  The systemctl status reports in full are at
> https://susepaste.org/99540079 .  I'm unable to determine what I did
> to cause these errors.

The module-x11-publish error is probably caused by
/etc/xdg/autostart/pulseaudio.desktop, which is loaded on login,
causing /usr/bin/start-pulseaudio-x11 to be run. You could try removing
the pulseaudio.desktop file (take a backup if you want). You shouldn't
lose any essential functionality by doing that (and since PulseAudio
was unable to connect to X11, whatever PulseAudio wanted to do didn't
succeed anyway).

If you see "Device or resource busy", something else is using the ALSA
device. You can check with "lsof /dev/snd/*" what programs are using
the ALSA devices.

-- Tanu