Re: Start condition failed - ConditionUser=!root not met

On Mon, 2021-10-11 at 15:41 -0400, Joel Miller wrote:
> OS: openSuSE Leap 15.3; KDE plasma desktop
>
> To enable a system instance of pulseaudio, I made the following file
> modifications suggested on the freedesktop.org
> (https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/PulseAudio/Documentation/User/SystemWide/)
> and rudd-o websites
> (https://rudd-o.com/linux-and-free-software/how-to-make-pulseaudio-run-once-at-boot-for-all-your-users):
>
> Per freedesktop.org:
> 	set autospawn = no in /etc/pulse/client.conf
> 	added "root" and "jm" to pulse-access
>
> Per rudd-o:
> 	in /etc/systemd/system/pulseaudio.service, modified text for [service]
> and [Install] (see rudd-o)
> 	used systemctl to enable, start, and check the status of pulseaudio
>
> The status request yields the following:
>
> linux-6:/etc/systemd/system # systemctl --system status pulseaudio.service
> ● pulseaudio.service - Sound Service
>       Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/pulseaudio.service; enabled;
> vendor preset: disabled)
>       Active: inactive (dead)
> TriggeredBy: ● pulseaudio.socket
>    Condition: start condition failed at Wed 2021-10-06 12:16:38 EDT; 4s ago
>               └─ ConditionUser=!root was not met
>
> * * *
>
> Your suggestions and advice are welcome.
>
> Joel
> 973 736 8306

Does /etc/systemd/system/pulseaudio.service contain
"ConditionUser=!root"? The systemctl status output looks like it does,
but that doesn't make sense in a system service (and the rudd-o page
doesn't contain that line, so I don't know why you would have that,
unless you copied the user service to the system service, but in your
list of modifications you didn't say that you did so).

The systemctl output also indicates that pulseaudio.service was
triggered by pulseaudio.socket, so check also that (the system version
of) pulseaudio.socket doesn't contain "ConditionUser=!root". Again,
rudd-o doesn't instruct you to set up a socket activation unit, nor did
you mention doin that in your message, so I don't understand why
pulseaudio.socket would be involved at all.

-- Tanu