Re: Why doesn't mixer control (values) have some kind of locking mechanism? (mutex?)

On Fri, 7 Aug 2020 at 01:19, Takashi Sakamoto <o-takashi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In your case, SNDRV_CTL_IOCTL_ELEM_LOCK looks 'write-lock', therefore
> any userspace applications can do read operation to the control element
> locked by the other processes.
>
> To solve the issue, the pair of read/write operations should be done
> between lock/unlock operations. I can consider about two cases.
>
> A case is that all of applications implements the above. This is
> already proposed. The case is that the world is universe.
>
> +-----------+-----------+
> | process A | process B |
> +-----------+-----------+
> |   lock    |           |
> |   read    |           |
> |           |lock(EPERM)| reschedule lock/get/put/unlock actions
> |   write   |           |
> |           |lock(EPERM)| reschedule lock/get/put/unlock actions
> |  unlock   |           |
> |           |   lock    |
> |           |   read    | calculate for new value
> |           |   write   |
> |           |  unlock   |
> +-----------+-----------+
>
> Another case is that a part of application implements the above. Let
> me drill down the case into two cases. These cases are realistic
> (sign...):
>
> +-----------+------------+
> | process A | process B  |
> +-----------+------------+
> |   lock    |            |
> |   read    |            |
> |   write   |            |
> |           |    read    | calculate for new value
> |           |write(EPERM)|
> |  unlock   |            |
> |           |   write    | <- expected value
> +-----------+------------+
>
> +-----------+------------+
> | process A | process B  |
> +-----------+------------+
> |   lock    |            |
> |   read    |            |
> |           |   read     | calculate for new value
> |   write   |            |
> |           |write(EPERM)|
> |  unlock   |            |
> |           |   write    | <- unexpected value
> +-----------+------------+
>
> The lock/unlock mechanism is not perfect solution as long as any
> applications perform like the process.
>
> If we can expect the most of applications to be back to read operation
> at failure of write operation, thing goes well.
>
> +-----------+------------+
> | process A | process B  |
> +-----------+------------+
> |   lock    |            |
> |   read    |            |
> |           |   read     | calculate for new value
> |   write   |            |
> |           |write(EPERM)|
> |  unlock   |            |
> |           |   read     | calculate for new value
> |           |   write    | <- expected value
> +-----------+------------+

Oh you were saying, while it is a "write lock in nature", if all the
processes considered/involved make use of it (properly, by attempting
to lock before *reading*), it would work like a "full" lock. Sorry I
wasn't thinking straight.

And I guess there's no point in changing it into a "real" full lock in
the kernel anyway as that won't prevent whatever that doesn't make use
of it race with each other.

Okay so I suppose that means we can/should at least fix amixer with it
for now and see if we can/want to get something better into the
kernel. (I am in no position to comment on whether we should do
compare-and-swap as I don't know if it's a good idea programmatically
speaking, or if there's a huge price in any aspect; all I know is that
it *looks* more neat.)

Thanks a lot! Should I file an issue additionally in the alsa-utils
github repo btw?