Re: Why doesn't mixer control (values) have some kind of locking mechanism? (mutex?)

Hi,

On Thu, 6 Aug 2020 at 10:06, Takashi Sakamoto <o-takashi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> ALSA control core allows applications to lock/unlock a control element
> so that any write opreation to the control element fails for processes
> except for owner process.
>
> When a process requests `SNDRV_CTL_IOCTL_ELEM_LOCK`[1] against a
> control element. After operating the request, the control element is
> under 'owned by the process' state. In this state, any request of
> `SNDRV_CTL_IOCTL_ELEM_WRITE` from the other processes fails with
> `-EPERM`[2]. The write operation from the owner process is successful
> only. When the owner process is going to finish, the state is
> released[3].

That doesn't really address the problem anyway. As I've mentioned,
implementation of volume put() in kernel drivers often / can easily be
made atomic anyway (that might be the reason why this write lock isn't
popular). The problem/race I am trying to point out is, one process
can get()/read before another finishing its get()+put() pair (which is
required by volume setting/adjusting), so something like
get1()->get2()->put1()->put2() could easily happen (where each put()
relies on / is "configured" with volumes of their respective get()).
The lock will need to intentionally stall further get()/read as well.

If we for some reason want to avoid using locks, put() needs to be
atomic by design (like, "embed" get() in itself and use arrays for
volume values, instead of requiring those to be implemented in the
userspace manually / with a loop). Unfortunately that isn't the case
in ALSA.