Re: How to combine microphone audio and music from application to pipe to video conference

Title: Marionetas Mey

Sorry for not reading every mail of this thread... but I want to share with you my experience with PulseAudio - Zoom. I tried a lot of things to make mic-music work. I have onboard soundcard and a Logitech USB headphones/mic. And, finally, I end using other method, completly different.

- For the first time, I tried to use mic and music from OBS and create "something" to make Zoom take the audio: Pulseaudio remap module. I output all the audio from OBS to my speakers and remap it to a source module.

- Later, I discovered that audio output (monitor) from OBS was not stable... so, I create a system using pulseaudio sink modules, SoX and Play commands from console. Also, with SoX, I applied some filters in realtime (pitch, eq, highpass, echo and reverb).

- Then, I tried to hear only the music and Zoom in headphones and send my voice and the music to speakers (and turn them off "hardwarely"). For this, I created pulseaudio loopback modules and combine modules. It appear to work everything Ok... till I saw my CPU: on fire. I don't have a modern computer. This Pulseaudio consumtion and OBS consumption.... and Zoom consumption, the video was awfull. With luck: 5fps or less.

- I forgot to mention that the first try was with Jack. But, as I said, my computer was not good for OBS and Jack. So, I desisted.

- Finally, by trying to optimize OBS resolution, modules, SoX, Play and getting lot of headache... I tried Jack again. With stting OBS resolution at 704x396 instead of HD (less than half CPU process), I could use Jack with 128 frames: 8ms latency. So, I created a patch in PureData and connect what I want to what I want. I hear what I want and send what I want. Filters, fadeins, fadeouts, music, samples... everything I want.

Sorry that this is Pulseaudio maillist, but my advice is: use Jack.

If you still need pacmd/pactl commands to make it work as my first tries... ask for them. I can share them with you.

Good luck.

Mario Sottile - Director
(011) 15.6283.1576
www.mariomey.com.ar