Speex AEC reducing audio it shouldn't

Hello,

I am working on a telephony project and am having some trouble with acoustic echo cancellation (AEC). My project uses both a separate handset microphone as well as a speakerphone microphone located on the device itself. Using SPEEX AEC with a 512ms tail length, the AEC is correctly reducing the echo when using the handset. However, when using the speaking into the speakerphone while audio is playing on the speaker, the AEC is reducing ALL audio significantly.

I am testing this using a similar approach as the aectest program distributed with PJSIP, with some modifications to account for our custom hardware.

Does anybody have any experience with AEC reducing audio it shouldn’t?

Thanks,

John