Debian packages

On 2009-05-12 at 15:38:36, Benny Prijono wrote:
> On the other hand, I'm anxious about the level of "support" that Debian
> requires. As it is now, the three of us here at pjsip can barely keep up
> with the 650+ members of this list, so the odds against us being able to
> respond to any bug reports there would be pretty high. As you have
> realized first hand from the delay in me responding to your mail now. :)

Yes, I have noticed the amount of traffic on the list. You certainly have a
popular project!

With respect to responding to Debian bug reports, there are two type of
bugs:

  1- the ones which have to do with the Debian packaging itself

  2- the bugs coming from the upstream package

I could certainly help you guys with the first category and then forward the
other ones to the list.

In terms of an appropriate level of support for Debian, no one is required
to address all bugs/suggestions. The only type of bug which needs to be
addressed quickly are the "release-critical" bugs such as security issues
and serious bugs which make the package unusable.

Now you probably already address these bugs quickly so I would assume that
the extra commitment wouldn't be too much of a burden. Again, I can help
with the extra procedures that need to be followed for certain types of
bugs.

> But once the initial work is done, I guess it would be a much lesser burden
> to maintain (for example, we already have a nightly build/test script and
> also script for .zip/.tgz packaging) so I think we're okay with the
> maintenance thing.

So to start things off, I have grabbed the sources for 1.0.2 and 1.2.  Which
one do you think should be packaged?

Also, in terms of third-party dependencies, I have found these packages
which are already in Debian:

  libspeex1 1.2~rc1-1
  http://packages.debian.org/sid/libspeex1

  libportaudio2 (19+svn20071022-3)