Debian packages

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 11:03 AM, Francois Marier <francois at debian.org>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm working with Emmanuel Milou to get sflphone into Debian. Because
> sflphone makes use of pjsip, it would be a great opportunity to also get
> your library into Debian.

Can't agree more. :)

> If you are interested in maintaining in it in Debian (mostly taking care of
> bug reports, and preparing new releases), I could give you a hand with the
> initial upload and be your sponsors for subsequent ones.

Thanks for the offer.

Frankly I'm feeling a bit apprehensive about this. On hand hand, yes we are
actively maintain pjsip (the very few of us!). On the other hand, I'm
anxious about the level of "support" that Debian requires. As it is now, the
three of us here at pjsip can barely keep up with the 650+ members of this
list, so the odds against us being able to respond to any bug reports there
would be pretty high. As you have realized first hand from the delay in me
responding to your mail now. :)

I guess that the first step would be for me to take a look at the packaging
> that you've already got and build something from there.

That would be the first hurdle indeed, and frankly at the moment I don't
think I have time or resource to do this myself, considering that I'm not
familiar with how packaging should be and our own roadmap to keep up with.
But once the initial work is done, I guess it would be a much lesser burden
to maintain (for example, we already have a nightly build/test script and
also script for .zip/.tgz packaging) so I think we're okay with the
maintenance thing.

cheers
 Benny