Weired Scenario- Symbian HTTP tunneling

VOIP Guru wrote:
> Well I was playing with it for the last few months.
> First I thought I could just use a opensource HTTP tunnel/server and
> send the data through it. But later I realized, true HTTP tunneling
> could not be usefull in this case. The main reason is most of the HTTP
> tunnel does not keep persistent TCP connection rather it closes the
> connection as soon as it completes the request. But in real life
> scenario you dont want that as it will shoot up the PDD for the
> overhead of reconnection. Second HTTP always adds the header with it
> and can not be attached as is with the RTP as it will eat up all your
> bandwidth and payload. So I came up with idea of using good HTTP
> wrapping for SIP messages and having some tricky headers with RTP.
For tricky headers for RTP what do you mean?
In a project to make an RTP compatible packet over a 9.6kb GSM CSD
channel last year we made a strong analisys to strip-out any field of
the header that we was able not-to-retransmit at each packet, and we put
all them in a HELO packet to be exchanged by the peer at the beginning.

This greatly reduced the RTP header overhead from 12byte to 4byte + a
two way initial HELO packet exchange.
Are you using a similar approach?

Still i am concerned about possible performence problem of TCP, even if
the paper i provided in the past email state that by using NO_DELAY it
should have less than 20-25% more latency than when used with UDP.
Even if the paper also state that the latency of plain TCP it's more
than 150-200% of UDP transport.

> also used two persistent connection one for SIP and another for RTP.

Nice, how do you manage congestions and retransmissions?
I mean, did you had to enable/disable SACK features of TCP or something
like this?

I read there that using https instead of http would be maybe better:
http://lists.iptel.org/pipermail/serusers/2005-December/026406.html

> The most critical part is, you still need to parse the SIP and SDP for
> routing all your message and RTP. So actually I ended up writing
> partial SIP proxy with the mixup on HTTP protocol.

I think you also wrote a gateway to make translate the RTP-over-HTTP to
plain RTP, right?

Are you planning to release such software and/or the specifications of
the protocol in an opensource environment?

I would be very interesting in a cooperation about such kind of
technology that, other than providing firewall-traversal, could also
create some narrowbandwidth RTP header transport if properly
implemented, thus strongly reducing the bandwidth.

Waiting for yours

Fabio