Porting requirements for OS functionality to run only PJMEDIA_SESSION instance

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 12:55 PM, Jan Sebesta
<jan.sebesta at consilia-brno.cz>wrote:

>  Hello PJSIP developers,
>
> I would like to ask, what functionality of PJLIB framework library is
> absolutely necessary to be ported for target embedded system in case when
> only object instance of pjmedia_session "class" will be running there.

Hi Jan,

I'm not sure exactly which PJLIB stuffs are needed for
pjmedia_session/stream, but I would strongly suggest to "port" all of PJLIB
components into the new target, since that would make development much
easier should you need something else other than pjmedia_session in the
future. Once PJLIB has been ported then that's it, everything will run.

> Note, that multithreading is not supported by our target system.

Okay, that will make it easier.

> I think, my system need to port (see PJLIB Table of Content):

Actually you can start from
http://www.pjsip.org/pjlib/docs/html/porting_pjlib_pg.htm, though this doc
is a bit outdated.

> - Error Codes (all)

Depends on whether your OS offers new way to get error.

> - Data Structure (all)

This should be OS independent.

> - Miscelaneous (all)

Generally should be OS independent.

> - Operating system dependent functionality
> --- Atomic variables (when general thread is interrupted by event)
> --- Critical sections (when general thread is interrupted by event)

Yep.

> --- Event objects (hardware interrupt translation to PJSIP event)

This is not used actually.

> --- High resolution timestamp (computing delays - optimal delayed playback,
> delay buffer for several streams, mixing streams,...)

Yes.

> --- Time data type and manipulation (date of stream creation?, statistical
> info,..)

If this is pj_gettimeofday() then yes.

> - Fast memory pool (all)

Depends on whether malloc() works or not.

> Do you have another idea, what next has to be ported or what can be even
> omitted from PJLIB framework?

Taking Symbian as a sample platform (since it's very different than
everything else), here are the porting details for it:
http://www.pjsip.org/sip_symbian.htm#porting_details.  I suppose yours will
be subset of these.

Cheers
 Benny