Licensing / Royalties very interesting question for Symbian

Joegen E. Baclor wrote:
> IMO, this is the same case as the Microsoft ACM G.723.1 Codec.   It
> can be used by applications because it can be accessed by applications
> using the ACM API.  However, from what I know about codec patents,
> indemnification is towards a certain company.  Even if Symbian has
> licensed G.729 or AMR, the indemnification is not transferred to the
> third party applications that may run in the operating system.  So, in
> both of the cases you mentioned, you must pay the royalties for the
> usage of the codec.

I already made an inquiry to Nokia about it and using the hardware
provided AMR encoder/decoder of S60 you DON'T HAVE to pay royalties.
I am 100% sure about it.

The question is related to the usage of NON-NOKIA-PROVIDED royalty based
codec (if implemented in software).

Fabio