Licensing / Royalties very interesting question for Symbian

IMO, this is the same case as the Microsoft ACM G.723.1 Codec.   It can
be used by applications because it can be accessed by applications using
the ACM API.  However, from what I know about codec patents,
indemnification is towards a certain company.  Even if Symbian has
licensed G.729 or AMR, the indemnification is not transferred to the
third party applications that may run in the operating system.  So, in
both of the cases you mentioned, you must pay the royalties for the
usage of the codec.