Licensing / Royalties very interesting question for Symbian

On Symbian we are allowed to use AMR and other royalty based codec for
'free' because Nokia already provide such right within the Symbian
operating system.

I am wondering what if we use a software implementation of AMR or G729
instead of the Nokia hardware one?

In such case royalties are to be paid (royalties are not on the
implementation but on the patent's right) or not?

I mean, if we use an independent codec implementation on Nokia S60
platform that already provide the license for such codec, do we'll need
to pay for such "independent" codec usage or it's already "covered" by
the fact that the applicaiton run on Nokia S60?

That's a nice question in terms of legal/licensing issue for Symbian
platform

Fabio