REFER, NOTIFY, and 408 timeout

On Sat, 2008-03-29 at 09:09 +0000, Benny Prijono wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 7:10 PM, Pedro Sanchez <psanchez at nortel.com> wrote:
> >  > >From transaction retransmission point of view, any response >= 200
> >  > will terminate the transaction. But normally the other end should
> >  > reply with 200 for NOTIFY.
> >  >
> >  Hmm, I guess it shouldn't. NOTIFY messages, being non-INVITE messages,
> >  shouldn't be processed with 200 messages. So, wouldn't it be better to say
> >  that any response >200 (not >= ) would do?
> >
> >  "Non-INVITE transactions do not make use of ACK."
> >  (RFC 3261, section 17.1.2.1)
> >
> >  Or am I miss-reading this?
> >

> Yes I think you've misinterpret it. A 200 response is different than
> ACK, so while a non-INVITE requests are not ACK-ed, it's perfectly
> okay to send 200 response to non-INVITE requests.
>
> Re: PJSIP not sending 2xx response to REFER, are you sure about this?
> I'm pretty sure that it must have sent it, otherwise NOTIFY won't get
> sent. If you have a SIP trace for the conversation that will help.

PJSIP sends a 200 message in response to the REFER while the other two
SIP stacks that I can test send 202 messages instead. The proxy is happy
with the other stacks but not with PJSIP.

Note below the reference to the expected 202 message in RFC 3515. Also,
as an example, see
http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-mahy-sip-remote-cc-04.txt (diagram in
section 3). Note how a 202 answer is always assumed in this context as
well.

If you tell me where to go in the source code to modify this behaviour I
could test the scenario with PJSIP sending a 202 response. I'm using the
released version 0.8.

Thanks,

--
Pedro

2.4.2 Processing a REFER request
   If no final response has been generated according to the rules above,
   the UA MUST return a 202 Accepted response before the REFER
   transaction expires.

   If a REFER request is accepted (that is, a 2xx class response is
   returned), the recipient MUST create a subscription and send
   notifications of the status of the refer as described in Section
   2.4.4.

2.4.7 Using the Subscription-State Header Field with Event Refer
   In the case where a REFER was accepted with a 202, ...