REFER, NOTIFY, and 408 timeout

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 7:10 PM, Pedro Sanchez <psanchez at nortel.com> wrote:
>  > >From transaction retransmission point of view, any response >= 200
>  > will terminate the transaction. But normally the other end should
>  > reply with 200 for NOTIFY.
>  >
>  Hmm, I guess it shouldn't. NOTIFY messages, being non-INVITE messages,
>  shouldn't be processed with 200 messages. So, wouldn't it be better to say
>  that any response >200 (not >= ) would do?
>
>  "Non-INVITE transactions do not make use of ACK."
>  (RFC 3261, section 17.1.2.1)
>
>  Or am I miss-reading this?

Yes I think you've misinterpret it. A 200 response is different than
ACK, so while a non-INVITE requests are not ACK-ed, it's perfectly
okay to send 200 response to non-INVITE requests.

Re: PJSIP not sending 2xx response to REFER, are you sure about this?
I'm pretty sure that it must have sent it, otherwise NOTIFY won't get
sent. If you have a SIP trace for the conversation that will help.

Cheers
 Benny