Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 22:59:17 +0100
From: "Benny Prijono" <bennylp@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: PJSIP in ARM - CPU consumption
To: "pjsip list" <pjsip at lists.pjsip.org>

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 9:11 PM, C?sar Davi <cesargxn at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I wonder if anyone has used the PJSIP in an embedded environment, with
> low requirements of memory and processing power (something around
> 200Mhz). For what I have seen the stack is behaving well in desktop,
> but I have not seen much discussion on embedded environments. I

Really? This list has been running long enough long enough (more than
3 years now) and I've heard many discussions about embedded use of
pjsip. About CPU requirement, I know for sure people who have
production hardware running pjsip on a 20 MHz MIPS (can't name them
for political reason unfortunately). And don't forget about mobile
devices as well, which from device capability is not dissimilar from
embedded.  So I don't see any problems with this. It's just a matter
of configuring it correctly, and of course we all know this is never
straightforward with any embedded developments.

> personally have faced some problems regarding the performance in an
> application using ARM9 and may be forced to abandon the use of PJSIP
> in my project.

What is your expectation anyway? If you expect to run 8 simulteneous
speex calls on your 200MHz ARM9 then probably it will never happen.
And as I told you, siprtp is thread based so this probably is not the
ideal approach for your development. And why are you using siprtp to
measure up pjsip. What are you trying to do in the first place?

I'm just saying that there are plenty of options with pjsip. There are
plenty of features. And each features come with their own cost (CPU,
memory) of course. So it's always a matter of choosing the right
feature to have, to fit in the capability of the device. And you
haven't explained what you're trying to do, so we can't give good
suggestions for now.

Of course nobody forces anybody to use pjsip. There are plenty of
other choices. It's just a pity if you have to abandon pjsip based on
wrong experimentation.

Cheers
 Benny