Sppex ABR and VBR

On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 11:40 AM, Thomas Plotkowiak <plotti at gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi Benny,
>
> No I do not want to use bitrate setting to do 3D Audio positioning. For this
> I use irrklang which neatly works with irrlicht. Theoretically the VoIP
> Audiostream from pjsip is getting feed into irrklang which is then able to
> rednder it in a 3D environment. What I am doing right now is only adjusting
> the loudness of each incoming audiosignal according to this players
> distance.

I see. Frankly I've been thinking to add the binaural mixing
capability to the bridge too, since that sounds very cool. Or at least
to export the mixing function as callback from the bridge so that
people can plug-in their own mixing algorithm to the bridge.

> What I had in mind with the variable bitrate, is that the biggest problem
> with big conferences is the bandwidth consumption, wich is a function of the
> avatar density. Think of having 20 people around you, you have to send your
> audiostream to those 20 people so they are able to mix their personal 3D
> environment. By using vbr or abr I thought that depending on their distance
> to you, you send them a less quality signal if they are far away, since its
> very common that your voice doesnt matter too much for them since you are
> far away. Especially avatars that a close to you, should recieve a high
> quality signal since its very probable that they want to interact with you.

Ah okay, that sounds very reasonable indeed. The good news is we are
currently working on the speex wrapper to parse speex frames
correctly. Originally this was needed to handle multiple speex frames
in one RTP packet, but once this is done it should be able to handle
VBR frames as well. So perhaps along the way we can add new API to
manipulate Speex/codec parameters on the fly, which doesn't sound very
difficult.

> I am alreay lookning forward to writing a nice little entry with a couple
> more details in your blog, once I have some spare time, which will be by
> june 17th.

That will be cool!

Cheers
 Benny