Sppex ABR and VBR

I am having the crazy idea, to create a 3D Environment where the distance of
the players defines their quality of their communication.
So I heard that speex supports vbr and abr. Is it possible to adjust the
bitrate of the codec in realtime? That would be awsome.

So far I implemented this idea by creating zones that use different codecs,
so one zone that is near and uses speex 32kHz, one in the middle with 16kHz
and one for people who are far away that uses 8kHz. Depending on your
distance pjsip renegotiates your audiocodec. It works fine, but i thought
this vbr and abr function of speex would be even cooler.

Does anybody have some info on that? I just see the comparison charts on
speex:
http://speex.org/comparison/

that imply exactly this behaviour, but i dont know if i can control it in
pjsip.

Cheers
Thomas

P.S. If anybody reads german and is interested in this topic I can give you
the thesis I wrote about using irrlicht with pjsip, which i think is a cool
new idea for voice-communication.