Sppex ABR and VBR

On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 10:24 AM, Thomas Plotkowiak <plotti at gmx.net> wrote:
> I am having the crazy idea, to create a 3D Environment where the distance of
> the players defines their quality of their communication.
> So I heard that speex supports vbr and abr. Is it possible to adjust the
> bitrate of the codec in realtime? That would be awsome.

We're working on that. But just fyi,
http://www.sf.net/projects/voipforvw is also trying to do 3D audio
with pjsip so perhaps you can collaborate somehow.

> So far I implemented this idea by creating zones that use different codecs,
> so one zone that is near and uses speex 32kHz, one in the middle with 16kHz
> and one for people who are far away that uses 8kHz. Depending on your
> distance pjsip renegotiates your audiocodec. It works fine, but i thought
> this vbr and abr function of speex would be even cooler.

Are you sure bitrate setting is the way to go to accomplish 3D effect?
Normally people use the gain level to simulate distance and the
left-right balance to simulate 3D.

Cheers
 Benny