Audio Static Issue - OSX (Core 2 Dou)

P.J. Cast. wrote:
> Hi Again,
>
> Testing with the absolute latest pjsua (even updated
> to latest portaudio revision - no change). Under
> Leopard with a Core Dou processor, audio sounds great.
>
> However, under Leopard with Core 2 Dou processor, the
> audio playback has a certain static/scratchiness to
> it. We have tried various codecs, GSM & PCMU/A, but

This is just a shot in the dark, but static/metal effect could be
caused by linear resampling being used somewhere.

Since you said that "cc 0 0" works fine, this probably means that
the resampling in PortAudio is okay (I think PA uses CoreUtil's
resampling when it's asked to open sound device in clock rate that
is not supported by the device).

So this leaves us with the resampling that pjmedia uses. Check that
your pjsua_media_config.quality is set to 10 (value lower than 3
will cause linear resampling to be used).

And perhaps it would worth checking if file playback works okay. Try
playing back a file with 8KHz or 16KHz sampling rate. If the audio
is not coming out good, then we can probably confirm that the
resampling is at fault. Otherwise the bug is elsewere (maybe in
codec, stream, etc.).

cheers,
  -benny