From: Roland Cruse [mailto:roland.cruse@vrs-soft.com]
Sent: Monday, January 22, 2007 1:34 PM
To: soap@lists.php.net
Subject: Re:  soapclient method to .net server returns object not
xml

>If you want XML, aren't it a REST service you're trying to create?
>SOAPClient was designed to return a stdObject , not a xml document.

Thanks.

I am only a php SOAPClient accessing a .net soap server.

>From other postings I understand that soapclient is meant to return an
object.
That works for me in some instances. Knut Urdalen's wsdl2php has been a
great help. But in an other method, which returns a large
multidimensional data set, I think it would be better to get the result
in xml to feed to simpleXml which would then be easier to work with and
would not need parsing.

I also have php ext/soap code calling a different service other than the
one I am using and this method called returns *xml*. A while back I made
requests to a soap server in the form of a post in a web form with the
complete soap request inside the "textarea", that also returned xml. But
then I am hearing knowledgeable people say I am supposed to work with
the object that the soapclient returns.

Knowing no other way to get xml from a soapclient method call I saved
the output of __getLastReponseHeaders and __getLastReponse into a
string/file (both ways) and tried loading them into simpleXml but I get
an empty object on return (testing the same operation with good xml
gives a positive result).

Head spinning. Can anyone point me some tips?

Thanks