Re: password in md5 to connect to mysql instead of clear password

> The original question was concerning that if someone somehow had access to
> the file which stored the connections details then they would be able to
> use it to connect to the mysql server. Now if someone somehow had access
> to your key then it's game over for you. Unless you password protected
> your key which -- would be extremely impractical.

Well, considering that ultimate security is argueably impossible, one needs to
ride a fine line between impractical and safe. You have a good point though,
in that PHP has to have access to the private key in order to encrypt the
information, and we're already assuming the the php script lives in an
insecure environment, so in that case, it's no more secure than the original
plaintext solution.

The developer needs to set up a situation where the connection details are
secured and only the php process can access them even if the php script
itself is compromised. This is tough as if someone compromises the script
contents itself, they could very likely have access to change it, and
therefore have access to the php process as well.

I think about as safe as you can get is by putting the connection data out of
the served directory, somewhere that's not directly accessable, and
concentrate on system integrity. (security wise) This of course was the
suggestion of several others initially.

-Micah