Re: password in md5 to connect to mysql instead of clear password

On Sunday 27 February 2005 07:11, Micah Stevens wrote:
> Well, yes, but as my key is never transmitted from client to server,
> it's safer. ;)
>
> I encrypt a connect request with my private key, which is can be
> unencrypted by the public key, but the server knows it's me because
> only the private key can make the encryption. The message is sent over
> the network, but none of the tools to create it or read it are.

The original question was concerning that if someone somehow had access to
the file which stored the connections details then they would be able to
use it to connect to the mysql server. Now if someone somehow had access
to your key then it's game over for you. Unless you password protected
your key which -- would be extremely impractical.