The DB is very slow.

My school has a site on a HP NetServer E200 with Win2000 Server and Apache-Php. There are many web-pages accessing Paradox databases with the odbc PhP functions.
Now the system is very slow in answering to DB queries; e.g. I have a graphic counter which uses a Paradox tables to record info about visitors; when the table bocomes too big (about 10-20000 rows) the counter becomes very very slow; only cutting the table to the last hundreds of visits, the counter behaves good.
Why is the system so slow for big tables? it is a Paradox matter, a ODBC matter, a Win2000 matter? A hardware (CPU, RAM) matter?

Now I'm looking for the best solution; I have only some ideas:

1. Migrate the server to Linux (I'm trying Mandrake 9.1); but are there Linux ODBC driver for Paradox? Is it true that Apache/Php behaves better on Linux?
2. Migrate from Paradox to MySQL which is said to be very fast and can be managed directly by PhP; but are there tools to easily convert Paradox tables into MySQL? And is MySQL so much faster than Paradox/ODBC to justify the [big] job?
3. Improve the hardware: more RAM, a new server (e.g. a Xeon dual processor). Is it worth the money?

and as you see, I've many doubts too.

Is there somobody which can solve these doubts?

Paolo Bonavoglia --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Webmaster http://www.liceofoscarini.it/ E-Mail paolo.bonavoglia@liceofoscarini.it