Re: ROugh idea of speed

I was running a site on a dual 800 CPU, 1GB ram, dual mirrored 18GB drives,
doing about 16.8GB per day on average, including PHP/HTML code.

The system had several tables (~20), some regularly accessed, some not.
The biggest table was a log table of about 2.5+ million rows.  Ran reports
from it without a problem (as long as I wasn't sorting by date!).

Was able to run apache + php + mysql doing 1M page views a day, all
generated based on info in the DB.  Probably ran at about 150+ queries per
second all day long.  This was on FreeBSD, not Linux.  Hopefully this gives
you a bit of an idea.

As for 500 million records, if they are all in one table, that's something
I've never tried to do before!

Peter