ROugh idea of speed

Hiya,
    Just wondering what is the rough idea of speed of a server like this is
holding a database with millions of records. I know its difficult, depends
on the data stored etc.

    Its basically storing an index int and about 5 or so char field (50
long). In total I want to store 500 million records. Accessed using PHP.
  a.. 2x Intel Pentium III 1260 CPU or higher
  b.. 1 GB RAM
  c.. 60 GB hard drive
  d.. 20 GB traffic/month
  e.. RedHat LInux 7.2
    Ive read that its better to store the data in different databases on the
same server?

    Can someone please give me a rough idea of the speed and how many
servers needed, my client wants to know how much it will cost to host the
site.

     Anyone have any experience with holding a lot in MySQL? Any idea of
speed would be great.

    Thanks,

    Steve