Re: ROugh idea of speed

Hi,

I've dealt with databases with about 100 million records
(100Gb of data/indexes), using Oracle, and i'm glad we did.
If you database is 5 times larger than our largest one, you definitely
you need Oracle or something high end.

"Steve Vernon" <steve@extremewattage.co.uk> wrote in message
030801c2872e$2d8065f0$f6ef87d9@extreme">news:030801c2872e$2d8065f0$f6ef87d9@extreme...
> Hiya,
>     Just wondering what is the rough idea of speed of a server like this
is
> holding a database with millions of records. I know its difficult, depends
> on the data stored etc.
>
>     Its basically storing an index int and about 5 or so char field (50
> long). In total I want to store 500 million records. Accessed using PHP.
>   a.. 2x Intel Pentium III 1260 CPU or higher

Sounds good.

>   b.. 1 GB RAM

That's not much RAM for a database that size. However it could
be adequete.

>   c.. 60 GB hard drive

In general you need at least 3-4 times the hard disk space required
for you data for indexes, temp storage and growth.

>   d.. 20 GB traffic/month
>   e.. RedHat LInux 7.2

Red Hat Advanced Server is better - it has Oracle patches for better
asynch i/o performance.

>     Ive read that its better to store the data in different databases on
the
> same server?

You probably mean store the data on multiple hard disks. That's good.
Different db's make little sense.

>     Can someone please give me a rough idea of the speed and how many
> servers needed, my client wants to know how much it will cost to host the
> site.
>
>      Anyone have any experience with holding a lot in MySQL? Any idea of
> speed would be great.

A bad idea. We also use and like MySQL, but definitely this is
a different league. Also get a good DBA, you sound as if you will need one.

Doing such databases can be very profitable (if you are the vendor), but
you need to get some skilled people to work with you. The selection of
hardware available for the task is very wide depending on your
price/performance. Hardware vendors such as IBM and HP are
Linux friendly and have the expertise to advise you better. Don't ask
box pushers like Dell - they don't have the right knowledge.

Regards, John