Re: Re: Help a newbie

In message <es9jqh+5k9a@xxxxxxxxxxx>, caprecerevisi2005
<wolfear@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
>I have to disagree in that I find nothing wrong with the naming of
>variables the same as a field name and that "ratesheetID" will prove
>much less confusing in the long run than simply "usrID".
>What happens should there ever be a "usr_foo" table?
>You then potentially have 2 "usrID" floating around instead of
>"ratesheetID" and "fooID".

That was my suggestion, and if all the tables are going to be called
usr_xxx (why would you do that??) then it would probably be rtsID and
fooID.  You KNOW that it is the ID of a ratesheet, because it is in the
ratesheet table, so why add that into the name?  And more letters = more
spelling mistakes.

>Conversely, putting a bit of forethought in the basic database design
>will go a long way towards avoiding the potential for confusion also.

And THAT was my point.

I am working for a client who has 3 databases, one has only one table in
it - only because an earlier programmer put it there early on in
development - and the others have no naming pattern at all, so each time
I want to access a field, I have to look it up on the list to see what
it is called.

--
Pete Clark

Sunny Andalucia