file lock : high traffic + concurency issue >>Any alternatives

Hi ,

Wishes.

I have developed a commenting system and it work as follows. first
comment would be X. All reply to this would be X.X and reply to X.X
would eb as X.X.X likewise. I keep each level's maximum filename used
using a count file.

I use the below code to write the count file:

function safeFileWrite($level, $count)

    {

        $fp = fopen('count'.$level.'.txt',"wb");

        if (flock($fp, LOCK_EX))

        {

             fputs($fp,$count);

             flock($fp, LOCK_UN);

        } else {

             echo "Error locking a file, please try again later!";

        }

        fclose($fp);

    }

Would this cause concurrency issue. would it break in a heavy traffic
site of one user in each second sites.

Thanks in advance for the help.

With regards

Harish