Re: Unable to compile PHP-7.3.0

On Thu, 2018-12-27 at 23:18 +0100, Christoph M. Becker wrote:
> On 26.12.2018 at 20:24, John wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the links Christoph.  I downloaded the Fedora-25 rpm and if I
> > can't
> > figure all this out I will install it.  Due to the age of F25 (2017) this
> > repository rpm would backdate the PHP version I have installed.
>
> Hmm, it seems to me that RemiRepo offers quite recent stuff[1].

Yes, they have both Fedora 28 and Fedora 29 downloads of PHP 7.3.0 available.
My problem is that I am running Fedora 25 on the server and that is end-of-life
so not being supported on RemiRepo is not a surprise.  But it does make things
more complicated!

> > Christoph, I am absolutely convinced that there are errors in the
> > configuration
> > script for PHP-7.3.0 BUT I don't have the skill set to prove that.  Do you
> > think
> > that a problem report should be filed with PHP or am I right out in left
> > field?
>
> Yes, please file a bug report on <https://bugs.php.net/>.  I'm pretty
> sure that there are issues with the ext/imap configuration.  However, it
> seems to me that the “manual” configuration which is still done for many
> extensions can't really be solved generally, and instead relying on
> pkg-config appears to be the way forward.  This is unlikely to happen
> for PHP 7.3, though.

OK, I'll try to figure that out.  I've never done a bug report before so may
take some time.  I'll try for 2018 though!
> [1]
> <
> https://blog.remirepo.net/post/2018/12/10/Install-PHP-7.3-on-CentOS-RHEL-or-Fedora

Thanks again Christoph.  Even though there is no solution your assistance and
persistence are appreciated.

John