Re: Unable to compile PHP-7.3.0

On 24.12.2018 at 17:31, John wrote:

> The libc-client library was installed yesterday (by dnf download from Fedora)
> because it is needed for imap support which is the reason I'm re-installing PHP.
> I have PHP 7.2.9 running at the moment and there was no problem with that
> installation but it doesn't have imap support installed.

Hmm, did you install a libc-client-*devel* package?  A libc-client
package is not sufficient to compile the extension.

> I copied the link that you referenced and it is identical to the config.m4 file
> in the PHP 7.3.0 distribution that I downloaded.  From your note I think that
> you feel that this patch is not complete but I don't know how to check.  I am
> willing to try any suggestions that you might have.

My point is (that I think) that configure does not properly check
whether the necessary stuff is installed, and may yield a strange error
message otherwise (“error: utf8_mime2text() has new signature, but
U8T_CANONICAL is missing.”), instead of clearly stating that required
headers or the actual library are missing.  If I'm right, this would be
a bug (in my opinion), and should be fixed.

--
Christoph M. Becker