Re: Unable to compile PHP-7.3.0

On Mon, 2018-12-24 at 23:45 +0100, Christoph M. Becker wrote:
> On 24.12.2018 at 17:31, John wrote:
>
> > The libc-client library was installed yesterday (by dnf download from
> > Fedora)
> > because it is needed for imap support which is the reason I'm re-installing
> > PHP.
> > I have PHP 7.2.9 running at the moment and there was no problem with that
> > installation but it doesn't have imap support installed.
>
> Hmm, did you install a libc-client-*devel* package?  A libc-client
> package is not sufficient to compile the extension.
>
> > I copied the link that you referenced and it is identical to the config.m4
> > file
> > in the PHP 7.3.0 distribution that I downloaded.  From your note I think
> > that
> > you feel that this patch is not complete but I don't know how to check.  I
> > am
> > willing to try any suggestions that you might have.
>
> My point is (that I think) that configure does not properly check
> whether the necessary stuff is installed, and may yield a strange error
> message otherwise (“error: utf8_mime2text() has new signature, but
> U8T_CANONICAL is missing.”), instead of clearly stating that required
> headers or the actual library are missing.  If I'm right, this would be
> a bug (in my opinion), and should be fixed.
Yes, I had thought of that but Fedora doesn't have a libc-client-devel (or dev)
available so I figured there must not be one.  At your suggestion, I did a web
search and the correct library name is "uw-imap-devel" and I installed that.
Now when I compile the error is "cannot find imap library (libc-client.a) please
check your c-client installation.  This is correct, the libc-client installtion
from Fedora didn't create a .a file, just libc-client.so.

That is what I would have expected so I'll have to debug that separately, but
heck, it's a holiday today and I have company coming in about an hour, so I'll
do it tomorrow!

dnf doesn't report any libc-client.a on the repository either.  Wouldn't this be
the output from the compiler?

Merry Christmas Christoph, and thanks again for the help.  I suspect I will need
more!

John