Re: Unable to compile PHP-7.3.0

On Mon, 2018-12-24 at 09:59 +0100, Christoph M. Becker wrote:
> On 24.12.2018 at 06:31, John wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to upgrade to PHP 7.3.0 on a Fedora 25 server and I'm getting an
> > error in the ./configure phase.  Error: checking for U8T_DECOMPOSE... no
> > configure: error: utf8_mime2text() has new signature, but U8T_CANONICAL is
> > missing. This should not happen. Check config.log for additional
> > information.
> >
> > Checking the log there are a number of places where there are fatal errors
> > and
> > the log says that compilation stopped, but the only errors related to
> > mime2text
> > are:  (retrieved using "grep -i mime2text" so no context, sorry)
> >
> > configure:42106: checking for utf8_mime2text signature
> > >         utf8_mime2text(src, dst);
> > > #define HAVE_NEW_MIME2TEXT 1
> >
> > configure:42188: error: utf8_mime2text() has new signature, but
> > U8T_CANONICAL is
> > missing. This should not happen. Check config.log for additional
> > information.
> > ac_cv_utf8_mime2text=new
> >
> > Compiling certainly isn't my core skill, but I have no idea even where to
> > start
> > with this one.
> >
> > If necessary I can make the entire config.log available on my web site.
> >
> > Help would be appreciated!
>
> There is likely something wrong with your libc-client installation.  It
> might be missing completely.  On a quick glance, it seems that
> config.m4[1] doesn't properly catch this case.
>
> [1] <https://github.com/php/php-src/blob/php-7.3.0/ext/imap/config.m4>

The libc-client library was installed yesterday (by dnf download from Fedora)
because it is needed for imap support which is the reason I'm re-installing PHP.
I have PHP 7.2.9 running at the moment and there was no problem with that
installation but it doesn't have imap support installed.

I copied the link that you referenced and it is identical to the config.m4 file
in the PHP 7.3.0 distribution that I downloaded.  From your note I think that
you feel that this patch is not complete but I don't know how to check.  I am
willing to try any suggestions that you might have.

...and thanks very much for the prompt response.