Re: Why so slow in Windows?

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 12:38 PM, Umberto Salsi <salsi@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Sebastian Krebs <krebs.seb@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Hi, I'm testing a PHP program to be relased as open-source (PHPLint)
> which
> > > performs a detailed analisis of PHP source programs:
> > >

> > No offense, but PHP can do this on it's own: "php -l filename.php"
>
> PHPLint does a bit more that php -l... Anyway, it's not this the point.
>

> > > * CLI only, no WEB,
> > > * no network connection involved,
> > > * no data base,
> > > * minimal disk activity required to load the source of the program
> > >   and the sources of the files to be parsed (less than 500 KB);
> > > * the php.ini is very minimalistic, with no extension modules at all,
> same
> > >   exact php.ini file on Linux and Windows.
> > >
> > > Observed:
> > > * CPU 100 % all the time.
> > > * No disk activity.
> > > * No net activity.
> > > * Only php.exe running on Windows (php-cli on Linux).
> > >
> > > Now, the performances trying to validate something moderately complex
> > > (itself):
> > >
> > >         1) Slackware Linux 12.1, Pentium 4, 32 bits, 1,6 GHz,
> > >         PHP-CLI 5.3.6-dev (quite old, but still working :-):
> > >         26 s * 1.6 GHz = 42 Gcycles.
> > >
> > >         2) Windows Vista Business, Pentium E5300, 32 bits 2.6 GHz,
> > >         PHP-CLI 5.3.10-nts:
> > >         132 s * 2.6 GHz = 343 Gcycles
> > >
> > >         3) Windows Vista Business, Pentium E5300, 32 bits 2.6 GHz,
> > >         (same PC of point 2 above)
> > >         PHP-CLI 5.5.9-nts (LAST RELEASE!):
> > >         111 s * 2.6 GHz = 289 Gcycles
> > >

> > > If performances can be measured as number of CPU cycles, PHP-CLI on
> Windows
> > > is from 6 to 7 times slower than on Linux.
>

> > I don't think you can measure it this way. What tells you, that nothing
> > else consume CPU-time?
>
> The fact that "task Manager" tells me that the "php.exe" process is taking
> all
> the CPU.
>

> Regards,
>  ___
> /_|_\  Umberto Salsi
> \/_\/  www.icosaedro.it
>

> --

It could be that Windows is just bad (or worst) than Linux at memory
management? I would construct a similar c program (or equivalent) that does
some processing (close to your php script) and see how it handles in both
operating systems. Also if you don't mind sharing the link to the open
source repo (if it is currently public) that would also be great (I might
be able to run the test on my Windows machine, if I have time).

Aziz