Why so slow in Windows?

Hi, I'm testing a PHP program to be relased as open-source (PHPLint) which
performs a detailed analisis of PHP source programs:

* CLI only, no WEB,
* no network connection involved,
* no data base,
* minimal disk activity required to load the source of the program
  and the sources of the files to be parsed (less than 500 KB);
* the php.ini is very minimalistic, with no extension modules at all, same
  exact php.ini file on Linux and Windows.

Observed:
* CPU 100 % all the time.
* No disk activity.
* No net activity.
* Only php.exe running on Windows (php-cli on Linux).

Now, the performances trying to validate something moderately complex
(itself):

	1) Slackware Linux 12.1, Pentium 4, 32 bits, 1,6 GHz,
	PHP-CLI 5.3.6-dev (quite old, but still working :-):
	26 s * 1.6 GHz = 42 Gcycles.

	2) Windows Vista Business, Pentium E5300, 32 bits 2.6 GHz,
	PHP-CLI 5.3.10-nts:
	132 s * 2.6 GHz = 343 Gcycles

	3) Windows Vista Business, Pentium E5300, 32 bits 2.6 GHz,
	(same PC of point 2 above)
	PHP-CLI 5.5.9-nts (LAST RELEASE!):
	111 s * 2.6 GHz = 289 Gcycles

If performances can be measured as number of CPU cycles, PHP-CLI on Windows
is from 6 to 7 times slower than on Linux.

Why is PHP Windows consuming 6 CPU cycle where Linux takes only 1? I'm missing
something? is there anything to tune to get better performances on Windows?

I recall that the PHP source being executed is exactly the same, and the
php.ini is exactly the same, with no extensions enabled as the program only
needs strlen(), fopen() and things like that, nothing more.

Regards,
 ___
/_|_\  Umberto Salsi
\/_\/  www.icosaedro.it