Re: Re: Programmers and developers needed

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 11:02:41AM -0700, Daevid Vincent wrote:

> > -----Original Message----- From: Matijn Woudt
> > [mailto:tijnema@xxxxxxxxx]
> >
> > You're missing the most important aspect of social networks..
> > Advertising.
>
> Please tell me that is said sarcastically. Advertising is the cancer
> of the internet. There was a time when there weren't ad banners,
> interstitials, pop-ups, pop-unders, spam, and all the other bullshit
> you have to sift through on a daily basis.

I might add to this that one of the reasons I switched to using Google
for internet searches many years ago was precisely this. All the other
search portals at the time blasted you with ads. Google's search page
was just a blank and the name Google, much as it is now. (Though I think
Google has now become its own kind of evil.)

And now I'm seeing more and more pop-up ads on websites all the time.
I'm trying to read content and every little while I have to banish some
pop-up or another. Grrr.

Here's another massive evil: Web pages that take forever to load. Why?
Because they have ads and other content being served up from other
sites. It takes forever for the page to fully paint because of
congestion at *other* sites which are supposed to be serving up
content/ads to the page I'm visiting. Yeah, that's not annoying or
anything. In fact, I've gone so far as to force my computer/browser to
believe most common providers of ad content are localhost, making
most requests for ad content yield 404 errors.

I bought TiVo partially so I could skip ads. I've revelled in it every
day since. I can watch an hour-long program in 47 minutes. (Though this
is a sad commentary on television and cable content providers.)

Yes, ads are Evil(tm).

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster