Re: OT (maybe not): Drupal vs WordPress

On 2012-08-19, at 3:52 PM, lamp@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi to everyone,
> I was trying to figure this out for the last week or two. I have read tons
> of articles that compare Drupal and WordPress, but I still wasn't swayed
> to either side.
> I know that they are both good, both do the job well, and both have
> advantages and disadvantages. For example, Drupal has a steeper learning
> curve, but you get more control over the website.
> Most of Drupal vs WordPress articles are "emotionally" driven and it
> reminds me of the PC vs Apple flame war. I was trying to exclude these as
> much as I could but it's hard.
>
> Is there any website/article/benchmark/test/experiment/whatever I can
> trust to be unbiased? I need a website that measures the CMS' through
> facts, not heated, emotional arguments. In which cases is it better to use
> Drupal over WordPress (and vice-versa)? I know the first two words are
> going to be "it depends", but let's talk about it in general (for small
> basic websites, more complex websites, easy customization, etc).
>
> I found this on one page: "... Drupal was built as a fine-grained
> multi-role system where you can assign different permissions to different
> roles to do different things (e.g. content editor, content reviewer,
> member, etc.) and assign users to these roles..." Does that mean that
> WordPress can't do that? Maybe it can, and the quotation is true, but it
> is kind of misleading to say that one of the programs does something, and
> then not mention the other product at all.
>
> Special points for me are (not a must, though)
> - multiple websites with single core (both CMSs have the capability but I
> got impression Drupal does it better?) because of maintenance
> - compatibility with CiviCRM
>
> Once I decide what to use, I have to stick with it for a while.
>
> Thanks for any help.

I think the one thing to remember is that Wordpress is at heart a blog. Drupal is a CMS. There are some serious scaling issues with Wordpress that I have seen that may become a issue for you.

One thing you didn't mention is site load ( # of users ) and what the goal of the site is. If there are a number of essentially static pages and the rest of the work done by civicCRM, then maybe just code those pages in HTML and leave the rest to the civicCRM.

But i would, based on the info above, consider Drupal more so. The added modules in drupal may make that choice worthwhile down the road

Bastien