Re: OT (maybe not): Drupal vs WordPress

Joomla.

Michael Shadle wrote:
> I suggest
Wordpress only for blogs or "brochureware" or basic page
based
> sites. It has security flaws often and I've had many sites
hacked and
> servers compromised because of it.
>
> Out of the box it is very easy to use and polished and has a lot of
themes
> available and is pretty easy to theme.
>
> I recommend Drupal for anything else. Out of the box it doesn't
do
> anything "very well" it provides the building
blocks to do a lot of things
> well with modules. It rarely has
security issues compared to Wordpress.

> It is much
more extensible than Wordpress. Anything using Wordpress for

forums, shopping carts or anything else is a gross misuse of the
original
> intention for Wordpress. Drupal however was designed to
be more content
> agnostic and can be extended way more elegantly
than Wordpress can ever
> be. Drupal is definitely for a more
functional site.

> But if you just need something basic
and simple Wordpress can meet your
> needs. Just keep it up to
date :)

lamp@xxxxxxxx wrote:

>> Hi to everyone,
>> I was trying to figure this out for the last week or two. I
have read
>> tons
>> of articles that compare Drupal
and WordPress, but I still wasn't swayed
>> to either side.
>> I know that they are both good, both do the job well, and both
have
>> advantages and disadvantages. For example, Drupal has a
steeper learning
>> curve, but you get more control over the
website.
>> Most of Drupal vs WordPress articles are
"emotionally" driven and it
>> reminds me of the PC
vs Apple flame war. I was trying to exclude these
>> as
>> much as I could but it's hard.
>>
>> Is
there any website/article/benchmark/test/experiment/whatever I can
>> trust to be unbiased? I need a website that measures the CMS'
through
>> facts, not heated, emotional arguments. In which
cases is it better to
>> use
>> Drupal over
WordPress (and vice-versa)? I know the first two words are

going to be "it depends", but let's talk about it in general
(for small
>> basic websites, more complex websites, easy
customization, etc).

>> I found this on one page:
"... Drupal was built as a fine-grained
>> multi-role
system where you can assign different permissions to

different
>> roles to do different things (e.g. content editor,
content reviewer,
>> member, etc.) and assign users to these
roles..." Does that mean that
>> WordPress can't do that?
Maybe it can, and the quotation is true, but it
>> is kind of
misleading to say that one of the programs does something,

and
>> then not mention the other product at all.
>>
>> Special points for me are (not a must, though)
>> - multiple websites with single core (both CMSs have the
capability but
>> got impression Drupal does it
better?) because of maintenance
>> - compatibility with